Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A Legacy of Faith...

So, some of you know I just got back from the East Coast. My family lives there and my dad had to undergo a procedure on his heart. I had been wanting to make it back there for my mom's 60th birthday and so I took the opportunity to travel back, surprise my mom for her birthday and support my dad through his procedure. I really felt the Lord's leading in this trip and was grateful for the chance to serve my parents during an anxious time. As I sat on the plane, traveling to NJ, the Lord placed some scripture in my heart. Psalm 56:3 says "When I am afraid, I will trust in You." Pretty simple, right? As I recited this simple verse over and over on the plane (flying is NOT my thing!) a peace that only comes from God settled in my spirit. During my layover, I called my dad. Since I wasn't going to see him until the next day, I wanted to talk to him about his procedure and let him know I was thinking and praying for him. At the end of our conversation, I shared the verse with him. "Thank you, hon", he said. As we hung up, something struck me...the Lord was using me to minister to my dad.

The next day, my sister and I arrived at the hospital. My parents were shocked to see me as they had no idea I was coming (that was fun!) As they prepared my dad for his procedure, my brother arrived. There we were, the five of us, all together for the first time in a long time. I asked if we could pray for dad and we joined hands and prayed together around my dad. The Lord is so faithful. As we prayed, holding hands, I was reminded of the legacy my dad was obedient to pass on to me. It goes something like this...when my great grandfather was in his twenties, he lost his daughter. He was so grief stricken he went to the local church, where he asked the pastor what he needed to do to see his little girl again. That pastor led my great grandfather to the Lord. He raised his children in the church and his son, Harry was also saved. Harry was my dad's, dad. My dad was also raised in church and came to know Christ as his savior. My dad raised me with Christ as his guide. I accepted Christ as a small child and I have many memories of dad teaching us from the Bible, praying with us at night and always reminding us of the love of Christ and His sacrifice for me. He worked hard to teach me to live by faith and seek the Lord's will for my life. This legacy of faith that started with my great grandfather, impacts my life every day. I am so thankful to the Lord that He would bless me with a dad whose greatest priority was my salvation. There was no greater concern to him than the state of my heart. Nothing was more important to him than my eternal security. What a blessing!

So now it comes full circle. The dad who lifted me up to the Lord, prayed for me faithfully and taught me according to His Word, was now receiving ministry through me. How amazing is the Savior's love. Being able to serve my dad, spiritually, was fulfilling. Any time I am used for the work of my Lord brings joy beyond compare. I am thankful for the occasion.

My dad is a Godly man. He loves the Lord with all his heart, with all his mind and with all his strength. He lives his life an example to his children...an example I will always be thankful for!

P.S. He is doing great, by the way. His procedure went well and we were blessed to have a tremendous time of fellowship as a family. As I get older, I appreciate this moments all the more. I love you, dad!

2 comments:

  1. YYAAAAHHHHHH!!! The Lord is GOOD! I hope I can be the change of my families faith in the future. Someone has to be the first one in the family line!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Thanks so much for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete